Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Sobering Truth Means A Change to Custom Orders

Are you ready for the shocking truth behind handmade?

Handmade designers work for peanuts. Well I do, and the reality is setting in that I can't support my family with peanuts.


Peanuts and a time poor mummy, pushed me to grab Monkey & Mum, shake all the tangled emotions and expectations from it, and watch the little fragments fall to the ground in the form of a sensible plan for my future.

I've worked so hard at this business, and I can't watch it become a failed statistic - especially when demand is more than ever!

My husband's back working, and the kiddies are mine from breakfast to dinner, as is the the guilt of daycare, the workload of an increasing customer base, and the stress of a house that no longer has anyone to run it.

I love my job, but I had a sobering reality check when I divided the hours of my working week - spent emailing, scheduling, invoicing, sourcing fabrics, photographing pieces, editing photos, marketing, packaging, post office trips, designing, creating - with the money I make.

The harrowing hourly rate I came to was embarrassing.

$10 an hour!

I hope you can see why something has to shift. I've always been brutally honest with you, my customer, which is why I'm explaining my motives behind these new plans.

The biggest change (and I really wish I didn't have to do this) will be to custom orders, which will now incur a 20% mark-up.

Custom pieces, whilst I love them, are very time consuming - lengthy email conversations, scheduling, invoicing, fabric sourcing - and this extra work has never been factored in to my costs.

The good news is there will be more ready-to-wear designer pieces available than ever before from the Etsy store (select tab in top left titled 'Designer - ready made'). These will start appearing on the Etsy store this Monday, and there will be no change to these prices.

This is how my design time will shift:





The Fairtrade range will also be up and running soon, and priced even lower than the designer range.

Some more good news! I have five custom spots left for September which will not incur a mark-up.

To book one of the last five custom spots at the current price, please email me.

I hope that you will support these new changes, and my reasons for making them.

Many thanks, 
Tess x


No comments:

Post a Comment